Tuesday 1 June 2010

Spirituality & Purpose

What does spirituality mean to you? What is your life purpose?

For me, spirituality is active. It involves not only a belief in something bigger than myself (you might call this God or simply "The Great Mystery of Life"), but it also includes practices such as contemplative prayer, meditation, and self-reflection. Here at Feel Good Girl, I offer a lot of tools for your spiritual practice, including moving meditations, active prayer, and transformational techniques. Many of these tools can be used regardless of your specific religion. While I'll share some thoughts on my beliefs, I'll leave your specific beliefs up to you.

Purpose is an integral part of spirituality. You don't need to be religious or even believe in God to have a strong spiritual purpose. You may feel guided to help heal the earth from environmental devastation, or help others who suffer from disease or poverty. Purpose can be the driving force which guides your life and gives you something to focus on beyond yourself:

This is the true joy in life: The being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. The being a force of nature, instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die - for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no “brief candle” to me; it is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.
-George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment